Friday, November 13, 2009

Day 3

I figure 330am is a good a time as any to start the day.

Wide awake at 330, I started my job hunt. The usual morning routine of kids/breakfast/school eventually happened around me. Then my sis-in-law was kind enough to drive me around as I needed to pick up some basics.

She took me to Walmart (spits).

Now, anyone who knows me reasonably well knows that I have a few issues with, amongst other monolithic multinational US-based conglomerates, Walmart (spits). I have problems with, inter alia, the corporation's foreign product sourcing, their treatment of product suppliers, their environmental practices (and their 'Green Initiative' does nothing to sway me), their use of public subsidies (IE underpaying staff to the point where they can apply for HMO health subsidies due to falling below the official poverty line in the US), their publicity stunts disguised as charitable donations (the economic damage caused by Walmart's (spits) business practices far outweighs any check they write to improve a small town boy scout camp), their discriminatory labour policies (google walmart + class action + lawsuit to see) and their security policies. Walmart (spits) represents everything I hate about US individualistic capitalist society specifically and North American consumerist culture generally. Watch this to see where I'm coming from on this one (CT peeps - you can find it at DVD Nouveau).

So there I am, sitting in the parking lot of Walmart (spits) and debating. Do I throw a fit? I have before. I've walked off the parking lot so as not to remain on Walmart (spits) property. I have raged in cars about their labour practices. I have raged at dinner parties about their environmental practices. I have raged over coffee about their health care policies. I have refused to use products that were purchased there. I have got out of cars as they entered Walmart (spits) property and stood on the sidewalk.

Now what?

I weighed my options. Do I pull a typical T-Lo b*tch move and lecture this poor woman about my own position on the matter? Or do I shut up, go in, buy some stuff and use it? In the end, I made a deal with myself: as long as I am living under the good graces of other people, particularly my family, I will go along with their lifestyle choices where necessary. When I get myself back on my feet, I can go back to my own way. I went in to Walmart (spits). I bought four items. I left. Upon entering the premises, neither myself nor Walmart(spits) burst into flames. I was a bit dissappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment